Process Scale Chromatography
Fundamental Question in Prep Chromatography
For successful Process Liquid Chromatography the question below have to be answered:
a. What are your sample compounds?
- Organic Synthetic Compounds with MW <2000 (Heterocycles, Vitamins, Organo-metallics, Hormones, Pesticides)
- Natural Products with MW <2000 (Saccharides, Lipides, Phospholipides, Isoprenoids, Steroids, Alkaloids, Flavenoids, Terpenes, Polyphenols, Saponins, Proanthocyanidins, Tannins etc from a wide range of matrixes)
- Amino Acids, Peptides, Oligonucleotides
- Large scale racemate purification
- Inorganics Separation (Cations and Anions, Metals, Nobel Metals, Acids, Alkalis, Industrial Waste, Hydrometallurgical- refining, leachages, extracts, precipitants)
- Protein, Biomarkers and Biotherapeutic Proteins (Enzymes, Membrane Proteins, Recombinant Proteins, Antibodies, extracts from mammalian Tissue, Erythrocytes, Yeast, Bacteria)
b. Sample preparation?
- In what condition is the compound supplied for chromatography processing?
- Is sample preparation necessary?
- What type of sample preparation is necessary?
c. Environmental factors
- Does the compound have to be process in organic solvent or can it be done in aqueous systems?
- Is ATEX configuration necessary?
- Are there facilities for solvent recycling?
- What shall happen with the by-products?
d. Process equipment selection
- Anticipated Business volume (g, kg or tons per day/week or month of pure compound)?
- Level of purity to be achieved?
- Envisaged process life?
- Envisaged process and maintenance costs
- Envisaged capital cost?
- Strategy to finance capital investment?
- Separation materials to be used?
- Has a phase evaluation been conducted to assure selection of the most effective material.
e. Preferred Process Mode
- .Single columns batch chromatography (Flash, MPLC, HPLC, Expanded Bed Purification, new experimental processes)?
- Parallel column chromatography?
- Continuous column processes (SMB , SSR)?
- New experimental processes?